Thursday, October 13, 2016

Obligatory Political Blog Post


So, I’ve tried not to weigh in on the political BS on FB. Not because I don’t have an opinion, but thanks to the mainstream media, I end up arguing semantics which makes me realize that no one is focusing on the real issues.

It’s become a lot of drama – but other people’s drama, not mine, and that’s an issue for me. I really only like to talk about my own drama publicly. That’s why I have a blog, duh.

Social issues like racism and sexism are very important but can and should be solved by you and me – we can’t really look to the president to micromanage our everyday lives making sure no one is being racist or sexist. The government has more important issues to focus on that affect the nation as a whole. However, the media has done a great job making this election about those social issues. Yes, what Trump said 11 years ago (and quite possibly has continued to say over the years) is wrong and not okay. But if there was never a recording, we’d probably never hear about it and then we’d be looking for something else that will disqualify him from the presidency.

But to be clear, I don’t think his words should disqualify him from being the president considering we’ve had more than one president in the White House who has put his penis where it shouldn’t be. But I digress.

The best thing about the Trump tape is the discussion that’s been opened up and how everyone is all of a sudden seeing what’s so wrong about those words (like, before, no guy ever thought about it…). The hard wake-up call is going to be the fact that no one is going to do much about it other than use it to determine who they vote into the White House. And then once the election is over, it gets relocated to the rounds on social media where all important social issue discussions are retired. Just ask the feminists.

Thanks mainstream media.

But I’m getting off topic: It’s not about Trump saying mean things or not (legally) paying taxes; and – to be honest – it’s not about Bill Clinton “not having sexual relations with that woman” and his wife allegedly shutting down sexual harassment accusers. It’s not about a blouse, a fly or being fed information and favored in debates. We’re kind of way past voting for someone based on their moral character at this point because none of us are perfect.

We have to look at the bigger picture. (cue photo of the United States.)

This is about the future of the United States. One of these two people will be president. And at this rate, thanks to the main stream media, our choice is going to be based on who said the meanest things instead of who might be able to help America – even make America great again.

What we should be focused on as it nears November 8 are the real issues that affect all of us – and hear me out - because it took me a long time to put my thoughts into words that made a little bit of sense:

1. National Security
2. A Stable Economy

I mean, there are a few other issues, but these are the two I think are most important and obvs will affect our country’s future as far as safety and ability to sustain itself.

What do I think of Nat’l Security? Well, I don’t want the Mexicans gone. I don’t want to deny anyone access to legally live here. The wall idea is kind of stupid (and will never happen, so calm down). But right now, a lot of our immigrants are coming from places where there are known terrorists who hate our country and are targeting us in planned attacks. We kind of need a president who understands that and puts Americans and our safety first. I’m not saying let’s not let anyone else in, I am saying that a tougher screening process is needed. Because while most immigrants just want to be here and enjoy the freedoms we offer, there are many more who are coming through who can possibly build the Trojan Horse that brings us down. I’m not a doom and gloom person, but that’s a reality, people. And as a military strategy, it’s genius because no one believes that can happen. Even though it’s already happened once. How many times do we need it to happen before it’s too late?

Because I think once is enough.

Our economy is kind of shitty. Politicians are good at politics. Business people are good at business. Can the
two mix? I don’t know. Can Trump bring jobs to the people? I believe that he’s a shrewd business person. Hillary likely could do the same, but she’ll  raise taxes on the rich (her words, not mine) which I'm not even sure how that will create jobs ... And even though that sounds fair, it won't work because the rich kids and business owners (employers) will find ways to get out of paying that high tax.  So, people will have jobs, but businesses will do what they have to in order to get around paying a lot of that higher tax, including not employing more people, or cutting hours and distributing them in a way that's more monetarily advantageous. I really don’t know how to explain that, but as someone who has owned her own business (and failed at that), I can understand how targeting business owners and the wealthy won't help the poor or middle class. Just like raising the minimum wage isn’t helping anyone because it could put people in a higher tax bracket to pay more taxes and then eventually the cost of living goes up so that $15/hr won’t seem like enough.

All the politics give me a headache and anxiety. I try to avoid it as much as possible. But every time I open my Facebook it’s about Trump’s sexist tape or Hillary’s scandals (and how Biden should run or what about Johnson). I’m not going to say that either person doesn’t have the capacity to be a good good person, I can’t even say that one would be a better president than the other.

I do know that we need a real change in America and I think that only one of the two can bring it. Either way, it will be a gamble ... just like every election year. 

You don’t have to vote on November 8 (which is a day before my birthday, btw). It’s not your duty, regardless of what Robert Downey Jr and the Avengers tells you through a social media video. You can sit back and whine about how Biden was a missed opportunity or how it came between two people that no one seems to like and that if one or the other makes it you’re moving to Canada (you won't), or that you’re choosing the lesser of two evils (that's a cop out).

You know what? If that last one is why you’re voting, then stay home. No one needs that vote, it's stupid. Even if you think the problem is the government, it's not going to fix itself. Supposedly we - the American citizens - are here to be able to do something about it by voting for the person we think will do the most for us as a nation. 

Right? Or did I miss something? 

Anyway, you should vote for someone you can believe in, not someone you will vote into office and continue to tear down during his/her presidency like everyone has done since Obama, Bush and Clinton (and others, I’m sure, because it’s our right per freedom of speech and expression) were elected. And then re-elect them four years later because they did such a 'terrible' job. Whether we like who is in office or not, we should believe in and support them, because from the outside, not having people support the government is a sign of weakness. And if our government fails, we all fail. 

I’m voting to ignore the mainstream media focus on all the drama in favor of the real issues facing our nation. 

But first, I need an aspirin.

Disclaimer: I'm so ready for my friend's list to cull itself, so if this offends anyone, just know that I don't give two s***s and good riddance. 





No comments: