You know how you think if you have more time, you will accomplish more stuff? Like, for example, I told myself when my boyfriend deployed I would be able to keep myself busy doing all the things that I didn’t do while he was here because I was too busy working and being a girlfriend. A good girlfriend. So, I made this list of things I wanted to get started on that would be finished by the time he came home – in a year.
- Work out and tone up.
- Finish writing my scandalous, tell all memoirs.
- Decorate the apartment somewhat so it looks more like a home.
- Finish writing my sci-fi script about how the moon is really a vessel from the future, sent back in time to save the human race (don’t ask).
- Network and start taking more photos.
- Learn a new language like Italian or Vietnamese (so I can understand the nail tech).
- Stay on top of my laundry.
- Prep the naughty bits for a good waxing routine.
- Get my car legal so I don’t get a ticket.
- Get a Texas driver’s license so I don’t get a ticket.
- See more of Texas so I can show my boyfriend around when he gets back.
- Get rid of the unintentional tan lines.
- Update my blog more regularly.
- Write my parents more.
- Start drawing again.
- Clean out my closet.
- Get out at least one night a week.
- Get a second job.
- Research vacation to Bali, Indonesia.
- Keep on top of care packages to the boyfriend.
All of that, plus add in my teenage daughter and giving her the entire Texas experience – in 100+ degree heat. Know how much of that I have actually started doing? With the exception of #20, I haven’t even cracked the bulk of the list. It’s like the more I want to do, the more my ADD kicks in so I end up nothing productive. Don’t get me wrong, each day starts out with a goal of chipping away at my list, but I always end up doing something unproductive like taking a nap after my workout or getting caught up on the sci-fi channel.
Maybe I need to shorten my list so that it doesn’t seem so long, or make a schedule and allot time to do a few things a day or per week. I could also prioritize because now that I look at my list again, numbers nine and 10 seem to be pretty pressing issues. If I had to weed out the important from the lesser, I don’t really need to wax (or worry about any kind of hair removal) for at least a year (it’s not like anyone will see it). My parents are pretty okay with not hearing from me that often – I mean, it’s not like they complain.
A book? Seriously, I don’t even think I have enough experiences to write about to take up an entire book – although my first 150 pages are due in February. Which is where my blog comes in, I haven’t been getting out enough to update my blog to add to the book. And writing takes mental focus and creativity, most of which are taken up by my day job (which I love, by the way). So that leaves out script writing, drawing and personal photography projects, too.
Texas is so big that to go anywhere and enjoy anything, it’s not just gas, but a hotel and food and a lot of driving for just two days. Besides, trips are no fun by myself, and once my daughter leaves, there’s no traveling buddy. I could just Google research places to go when the boyfriend gets back, including Bali, but hanging out online makes me sleepy. Plus, I broke the AC adapter plug on my laptop so it has to sit on the floor, propped on a box to keep the plug in so it charges and the floor is not comfortable – it’s an expensive fix, too. So, by staying home and milking the last bit of life out of my outdated laptop, I am saving money. I’d say that’s a win and point one for procrastination.
Right now, the apartment looks like a temporary bachelor pad and I’ve wanted to decorate it since I moved in – six months ago. But I eventually want to move into a different apartment, and the more stuff I have, the more work it will be to move. I’m not about creating more work for myself than is necessary. And what if the boyfriend doesn’t like it? Shouldn’t he have some input? Probably not, but it’s an excuse to put it off for a while - at least a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment